Lions Clubs International celebrated its 100th birthday on 7th June 2017 and all around the world Lions Clubs have commemorated this important event in many different ways during the three years up to July 2018 but all with a common theme of serving their local community.
Lions Clubs International originally set four challenges to Clubs focusing on the themes of Environment, Hunger, Vision and Youth, a fifth was added early in 2018 concerning the fight against diabetes. Locally in the UK, Lions Clubs were set a total of 18 detailed challenges based around these original four themes but which already included Diabetes related challenges..
Our Lions Club worked on many of these challenges over the three year period up to June 2018. The projects and challenges that we undertook included:
- Recycling 65,000 pairs of unwanted spectacles
- Continued to distribute thousands of Message in a Bottle Kits
- Donated hundreds of items to local Foodbanks
- Donated some 400 clothing items to the local Citizens Advice Bureau’s Winter Warmers Project and the Salvation Army’s work with the homeless
- Recycled over 100 hearing aids
- Recorded over 150 Good Deeds carried out on an individual basis by Club Members
- Held local heats of the Lions International Peace Poster Competition on an annual basis
- Recycled several thousand used or unwanted printer cartridges and over 300 mobile phones to raise funds for the East Anglian Children’s Hospices